thankyou
Donate to the B3 fund!

"even a small donation helps!"
Donate with PayPal!
Echelon v2 is not yet officially released! If you cannot get this dev-version installed, revert to version 1 as available in our download section.

Author Topic: Curious  (Read 9168 times)

Offline Mikobiko

Curious
« on: November 09, 2010, 08:44:10 PM »
Has there been any progress on version 2? I haven't seen any activity in the repo since August.

Offline xlr8or

• [ www.xlrstats.com ]
  • Project Lead
    • The Art of Tactical Gaming
Re: Curious
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 10:54:11 AM »
I just received word yesterday from the dev that was working on echelon v2 that he will not be able to finish it.

Unfortunately that's something that can happen on open source projects.

I guess we'll have to wait for a smart php programmer to finish the current work. If you are interested in doing so, just sign up to github and clone my repository here: https://github.com/xlr8or/echelon and start doing your magic. Send you pull requests to me and I'll validate them.

Until then echelon v2 is suspended and obviously also is the support for the work done so far.

Offline Just a baka

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:08:14 AM »
Any roadmap / TODOs / list of required changes or features to implement for v2 available for a new magician?

Offline xlr8or

• [ www.xlrstats.com ]
  • Project Lead
    • The Art of Tactical Gaming
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 05:14:52 PM »
Sadly enough v2 is just the code as it is. No more info available at my end. :(

Offline jorricks

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 11:47:57 PM »
so no 1 knows php that well as him :S?
and isn't it just easier to just edit V1 with a new design and a better account system.. because v1 was really stable?

Offline Goldwyn

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 11:05:32 PM »
I'm new to git, only ever really used SVN before - but I created a fork of https://github.com/xlr8or/echelon, and cloned it to my dev server..  This is however, the repo for Echelon V1?  Is there a github repo of V2?

Edit:  nevermind, found it at:  https://github.com/xlr8or/echelon/tree/version2
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:15:01 PM by Goldwyn »

Offline Fenix

• Dev. Team
    • GitHub
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 03:55:28 AM »
Hello there.
I was just checking if there were released some updates for version 2.0 of Echelon and I found this topic. Are there any news? Did someone took the job?

If you need a smart PHP programmer, well I can help you with that.

My references:

Better known languages: PHP, Java, Javascript (and AJAX), XML, SQL, HTML (both 4 and 5), CSS
Other known languages: Python, C, C++, ActionScript 3.0
Known CMS: Drupal, Joomla, Magento

Game stuffs:
I currently develop plugins for b3bot for my clan (I am also the Server and Site Admin), but I haven't shared those plugins, because most of them are modifications of the AdminPlugin and PowerAdminUrt. (I also edited some core files to fit my requirements).

I currently play only UrbanTerror, but I think that will not be a problem, since Echelon mostly interact with database tables.

Personal references:
I'm a 25 years old from Italy. I'm currently studying Computer Engineering at the University of Rome "La Sapienza", but I am close to graduation. I also work as a Webmaster for a company, here in my city.

That's all.

@xlr8or
Since I'm not allowed to send a PM on this website, I wrote those things here in this topic. If you wanna know me better just send me a PM with your Email address and I'll reply asap

Greetings

------------------------------
[Gore]Mr.Click
Gore Clan | Head Admin

Offline Freelander

• XLRstats dev.
  • Dev. Team
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 01:20:37 PM »
Hi mr.click, Wickedshell is currently working on echelon v2. You can find his repo here https://github.com/WickedShell/echelon

B3 and related projects xlrstats and echelon are all open source, so you can fork the repos on git and start contributing the projects. Best thing to start with is to take a look at the issues on the related repos maybe?

Also please check this page which answers your questions I think -> http://www.bigbrotherbot.net/project_rules

Offline Fenix

• Dev. Team
    • GitHub
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 05:56:05 PM »
Ok, then. Seems that you are good.
Anyway please edit my post according to the project_rules.

Offline MordyT

• Support Hero
  • Over $300 Donated to B3!
    • MordyT
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 08:05:37 PM »
Anyway please edit my post according to the project_rules.

More devs are always better. Like Freelander suggested, you should work with WS (fork his repo and send him fixes/enhancements, etc). You guys could come up with some cool stuff I am sure.
Help will be given to those with a b3.log

If drop off the map it is due to RL becoming busy :)

System: Python 2.7.3 - Deb 7 - B3 Source Code - 128MB RAM box (rented at $5 a year) - remote MySQL - Remote Web Services

Offline Garreth

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 08:15:12 PM »
However you should probably get in touch together, because WickedShell seems to have a lot of ideas and some parts of the code he probably has already written but not commited.

Offline Freelander

• XLRstats dev.
  • Dev. Team
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 08:22:51 PM »

I didn't really mean that we don't need any more devs. I'm sure WickedShell wouldn't mind another dev helping him like the rest of us. New developers are always welcomed like MordyT says. Please feel free to fork any project and start contributing, your offer for help is really appreciated!

Offline Fenix

• Dev. Team
    • GitHub
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 04:30:18 AM »
I didn't really mean that we don't need any more devs. I'm sure WickedShell wouldn't mind another dev helping him like the rest of us. New developers are always welcomed like MordyT says. Please feel free to fork any project and start contributing, your offer for help is really appreciated!

I'll do it.

Offline WickedShell

• GitHub - WickedShell
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 05:44:18 PM »
Biggest problem I've hit recently is time (not enough of it, at all). That said there are a couple of things really bothering me, that other's can freely jump on. The biggest thing is UI related (HTML/CSS/JS clean up). I can't do style work worth anything, and it takes me a ridiculously long time to fix the simplest things (let alone get them fixed in FF and IE). Things like image border's not being square, the sprite sheet having problems with extending into the next sprite if the text next to it is more then one line, the JS tooltip's only being readable once on a page. Those things have me incredibly stuck and annoyed at them. There was a big ole issue reported that I can't reproduce associated with PHP 5.2.17 apparently.

Oh and a nice webbased updater might be intresting... Would help with only the limited file changes/permission DB changes. (IE automated script that does and DB changes, and only replaces/edit's the changed files since last version). I'm sure some people would love this, rather then having to read my list of which files got changes and what manual edits they should make to there config file if they don't want to reinstall)

Any stuff is good stuff!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 05:46:18 PM by WickedShell »

Offline Fenix

• Dev. Team
    • GitHub
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 03:43:51 AM »
Hi WickedShell. Well, I had a quick look at the Echelon2 project.

About the GUI:
Frankly I do not really like the art style that has been set, and most importantl the layout is not easy to understand (there should be more visible buttons and especially to better organize the menu, so that the user should not spend too much time in finding the section that interests him). But that is a personal opinion :D
The menu also has some slight bugs (I've noticed them with Safari and Chrome .. sometimes the dropdown goes on forever even if I leave the mouse from the menu

About the PHP code:
It's a mess xD. It's too hard to understand how the whole project works...it is too few object oriented.
Sometime ago I started in building a little project to let my clan website communicate with b3bot DB tables (bypassing Echelon). I almost finished it (but I have too few time because of work and University, so it will stays un-completed for long) and I built like 15-20 php classes which can handle almost all the functionalities required (Managing penalties, clients, loggin actions etc.. )

About the functionalities:
Well, As I understand the v2 of Echelon is capable to interact also with Ext plugins, but still...the user have to specify the plugin, the db table where to act etc....It will be way better to make all the process automatic, ex:

You can assume which plugins are running on a server by looking at the DB Tables names.

NOTE** Usually it's hard to get hands dirty in a Project started by another guy (like you did). Sometime is better (and faster) to start a new project.

Btw if you need help, you can ask me. I'll do my best

Rate this page +1 at Google Search