thankyou
Donate to the B3 fund!

"even a small donation helps!"
Donate with PayPal!
Most of the plugins here are made by B3 users and the authors may not visit frequently. If you need support for plugins or if questions remain unanswered, you will have to contact the author directly. Read the full Support Disclaimer here

NOTE: Do not attach plugins to your forumtopics! Attachements are periodically removed by maintenance tasks. Upload your plugins to our Downloads section instead!

Author Topic: Code editor / IDE preference and their plugins  (Read 4545 times)

Rhidalin

Code editor / IDE preference and their plugins
« on: August 12, 2010, 07:38:45 AM »
I've been evaluating some IDE's and editors and I seem to be settling into Komodo for heavy editing of python and Notepad++ for context editing (right click, edit file) of logs and misc files. I've done quite a few searches on this topic and have seen some very polarized views on the topic. I'm stuck in a windows environment but I have a linux 2.6 VM available .

My holy grail would be an IDE with a smart auto complete (base functions as well as variables), true python import recursion (Komodo doesn't seem to import outside the standard libraries) and a reasonable 'Run now' programmable function (for command line changes). It would also have native GIT support (seems to be lacking except in some mysterious Komodo alpha release that I haven't been able to find).

I could also use some suggestions on file storage. Especially where it related to B3. So far, I have a GIT/Program_name for each thing I've written or changed, but when it comes to testing, I invariably end up making a commit faux pax and uploading something two versions old because I didn't copy things back from the testing location. I'm familiar with symlinks and hardlinks in Linux but not very familiar with how Windows handles such things (tried it once and an unnamed photo editing program went completely bonkers and wrote everything to my root:/user folder without telling me, almost took a sledghammer, ugly)

I figure I'm not the only one perusing around here that wonders these things, what do the professionals think?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:42:42 AM by Rhidalin »

Offline Courgette

• Senior Dev.
    • Github repository
Re: Code editor / IDE preference and their plugins
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 08:24:46 AM »
My holy grail would be an IDE with a smart auto complete (base functions as well as variables), true python import recursion (Komodo doesn't seem to import outside the standard libraries) and a reasonable 'Run now' programmable function (for command line changes).
Eclipse + pydev plugin does all that.
edit : I now use pyCharm which is worth its price and I like it much better than Eclipse pydev.

It would also have native GIT support (seems to be lacking except in some mysterious Komodo alpha release that I haven't been able to find).
Naaa, forget that. Stick to the console (Git Bash on win32) Git is quite complex, I tried a few Git Gui and none was satisfying and most importantly none made the Git easier to understand/use.
edit : Git GUI tools are quite handy now. For Eclipse there is the eGit plugin, on Windows you can use the official Git GUI or TortoiseGit which is handy if you already know TortoiseSVN.

I could also use some suggestions on file storage. Especially where it related to B3. So far, I have a GIT/Program_name for each thing I've written or changed, but when it comes to testing, I invariably end up making a commit faux pax and uploading something two versions old because I didn't copy things back from the testing location.
You mean how to manage both dev code and production code ?
On my windows computer :
  • use Git Bash to clone my github repo and keep updated
  • In Eclipse, I just refresh the project so Eclipse realizes there are some new files/updates
  • In Eclipse, my test b3.xml fetches my game server log files via FTP
  • When happy, commit with Git Bash
  • On your production server, git pull from your git repo

Also another trick :
You can make b3 ignore the b3.log file and write log info straight into stdout with the following addition to your b3.xml :
Code: xml [Select]

<settings name="devmode">
        <!-- do not log to b3.?log but to console instead -->
        <set name="log2console">true</set>
        <!-- do you want to replay an existing game log file ? -->
        <set name="replay">false</set>
    </settings>

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:42:20 AM by Courgette »

Rhidalin

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:56:10 PM »
Thanks a ton :) The learning curve has been steep but I feel like I'm becoming addicted :)

Man that's one powerful program, although it was a beast to install (kept mixing up kernel types because of ambiguously named packages).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 01:53:16 AM by Rhidalin »

Offline grosbedo

• Former Dev. (senate)
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 03:50:27 PM »
Im currently using the same setting as you did Rhidalin : Komodo for heavy programming, and Notepad++ for light logs reviewing or XML config.

Thank's Courgette, I will give Eclipse a try too, but Im pretty sure there's a way for Komodo to import custom python librairies, after all, Komodo is linked to one of the most important python community (ActiveState).

Offline Just a baka

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 10:08:48 PM »
Let me necropost a bit ^^

I've tried Eclipse, it's a monstrous, and its git support is not good (I think I had to 'git clone' myself then copy-paste the code in the project).
Netbeans - looks better, helps with things like unused variables, but nbgit fails so hard (there are empty menu items, it cannot pull and so on) so I've even rage-deleted it. With the Netbeans itself.

PyCharm looks very promising so far, can work with git and gives you a feeling of a good IDE: it is python-aware, it is aware of project classes, methods and variables in them, has autocomplete, helps with unused variables and imports, even helps with a bit of optimization and 'pythonizing' the code and so on. I.e., suggests replacing:
Code: python [Select]
if x == True:
with
Code: python [Select]
if x:
which is obviously better.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 10:13:43 PM by Just a baka »

Offline pyr02k1

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 06:31:09 AM »
I'm going to have to look at PyCharm. I've been using Notepad++ for the last 2 years now as I cant find an IDE I like. I tried Eclipse 4 or 5 times and it just didnt feel right for me. I've found a couple of PHP IDEs that I like, but nothing for a good all in one. I will say though, I love PHPStorm, so I imagine that I'll like PyCharm.

So far, I will say, I do like Notepad++ with SmartGit for my commits. I have a feeling I'll start using my github more now that I found this (I did a reinstall 2 days back, so I had a good chance to find something new)

Offline seb2015

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 09:21:32 PM »
I tryed some IDEs at the weekend to. Netbeans is my favorite, but the pythonplugin I had sucks. I had to download a DEV version of netbens to install the python extension.

At the time I use Geany, more an Editor und still searching for some debugging tools. Netbeans debugging was very nice for two days then It crashed, showed files twice... I edited a file then I disapeard with all my changes -> never again :)

//TIME LATER
I now user vim + winpdb. I'm bored off changing my IDE with the language I'M writing. At the time I'm not as fast as I was with netbeans, but this will change. With some vim plugins I have a real IDE with more features than any other IDE I know. Another BIG PLUS is that you can use vim on any remote mashine with ssh :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 03:44:16 AM by seb2015 »

Rate this page +1 at Google Search