Donate to the B3 fund!

"even a small donation helps!"
Donate with PayPal!
Echelon v2 is not yet officially released! If you cannot get this dev-version installed, revert to version 1 as available in our download section.

Author Topic: Echelon suddenly stopped working  (Read 1836 times)

Offline RBN-Principal

Echelon suddenly stopped working
« on: May 07, 2014, 04:43:50 AM »
I had a perfectly working copy of echelon for two years now, but this week it stopped working.  I suspect my hosting provider updated mysql or php, but I have yet to get that information out of them.

When I click in the client list, my username (usually in the top right) switches to a random client name.  I can log in, but all actions result in a "Hack Attempt" warning.   

Because of my hosting provider, all database names and users have the syntax accountname_name, so I was using accountname_echelon for DB and accountname_echelonU for user.

In the error below, if I read correctly, it says it is passing the accountname part of the username, but not the _echelonU part, thus failing to connect.  Maybe a problem with echelon and either php or mysql?

Has anyone else experienced this?   
I thought that perhaps I had file or DB corruption, so I deleted the database and installed echelon from scratch, and got the same error.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Current version of software on server:
Apache: 2.2.26
MySQL:   5.5.33
PHP:   5.2.17

-------
[2014-05-07 02:51:47]MYSQL ERROR - Code: 1045 - Message: <strong>B3 Database Connection Error:</strong> (#1045) Access denied for user 'accountname'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
-------
[2014-05-07 02:51:47]MYSQL CONNECTION ERROR - Code: 1045 - Message: B3 Database Connection Error: (#1045) Access denied for user 'accountname'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
-------
[2014-05-07 02:52:54]HACK ATTEMPT Message:    There was a hacking attempt,.
   IP-Adress: 00.000.00.00
   Host of Attacker: 00.000.00.00
   Point of Attack: Add User - Bad Token

Offline ph03n1x

• Lovers and Haters Urban Terror
Re: Echelon suddenly stopped working
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 05:59:31 PM »
In the log, it says that you are trying to connect without a password. Echelon usually uses a password to connect... the only logical thing i can think about is that the password part of the config is blank. Check that first and see if the password is properly entered.

If that doesn't seem to be the issue then try the following..

Try creating a new user with full access to echelon database.

In the following example, change "password" to the password you will use for echelonU user
Code: [Select]
CREATE USER 'echelonU'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';

The give privileges so that the webserver can connect to it. Change "123.12.1.1" to the IP address of the webserver (and of course the password).
Code: [Select]
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON accountname_echelon TO 'echelonU'@'123.12.1.1' IDENTIFIED BY 'password' WITH GRANT OPTION;

Then go to the echelon config located in the echelon installation folder/Connections/inc_config.php and edit the following lines (change password of course).

## settings for the echelon database
$hostname_wwwvalidate = "IP of SQL server";
$database_wwwvalidate = "accountname_echelon";
$username_wwwvalidate = "echelonU";
$password_wwwvalidate = "password";

I hope that somewhere in the middle of that is an answer to the problem.

Good luck!
:)

Offline RBN-Principal

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 07:37:03 PM »
Thank you for your comments.

I don't have the file you mention, but I believe I have something equivalent.

File:  echelon/inc/config.php

Which contains the following section:

## Connection info to connect to the database containing the echelon tables
define("DBL_HOSTNAME", "localhost"); // hostname of where the server is located
define("DBL_USERNAME", "correct username removed"); // username that can connect to that DB
define("DBL_PASSWORD", "correct password removed"); // Password for that user
define("DBL_DB", "correct db removed"); // Password for that user

I sanitized my username and db info, but it was all completely correct
The user had full privs on the database with the correct password (set through cPanel).

As I said, it worked flawlessly for 2+ years and suddenly stopped working.  Still waiting to hear from my webhost to see if they changed a version or server side setting.

Thanks, I'll keep at it.

Edit:
The reason I think the problem is related to new software versions is how the code is parsing those fields above.  Because in the error log it says for user accountname, when really it should be [email protected]  So I feel the underscore is screwing it up somehow.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 07:44:21 PM by RBN-Principal »

Offline ph03n1x

• Lovers and Haters Urban Terror
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 08:02:27 PM »
Ok if it is all right then they must have changed the server address on you. You will need the SQL server address. The error you specified in original post shows that access was denied with error 1045.
If your password and user is correct, then an error 1045 can also mean that the user is not in the database, which in turn tells us that the server may have been changed to a remote MySQL host.
You will need the information on the remote server in that case.

Please update us on what the host says, this may be helpful to other visitors.

good luck!
:)

Offline RBN-Principal

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 04:39:33 PM »
Ph03n1x,

I don't think they changed the server address, because it's the same mysql server my B3 connects to, and that is still working fine.

I haven't heard back from my webhost yet, but have some new information.

I have always used Echelon V2 , but I recognized your initial response to me was regarding V1, which got me to thinking.  So I installed V1 yesterday and it worked just fine, using all the same credentials/db settings (after cleaning out the V2 tables first).

So I suspect the framework that V2 is built on isn't compatible with whatever software change was made by my webhost.

Does anyone know how to figure out which framework, so I can take a stab at updating it?  Or am I mistaken here?

Thanks

Rate this page +1 at Google Search