Donate to the B3 fund!

"even a small donation helps!"
Donate with PayPal!
Echelon v2 is not yet officially released! If you cannot get this dev-version installed, revert to version 1 as available in our download section.

Author Topic: Situation  (Read 5301 times)

Offline Fenix

• Dev. Team
    • GitHub
Situation
« on: August 22, 2012, 10:14:40 PM »
Hi there, just tought about opening a new topic for this question instead of posting in other threads. What's the situation regarding the development of Echelon v2? Will it be finished or the project has been abandoned?

Offline Sitting-Duc

• BanButton Developments Blog
Re: Situation
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 10:23:48 PM »
Since I came into the community it has been abandoned.. I have worked a fair amount on it for my clans needs and help others when they need it and have released a few modifications occasionally.

I would be interested in helping in the development if it was to start up again but being honest do not have the motivation to work on it publicly.

Duc.

Offline MordyT

• Support Hero
  • Over $300 Donated to B3!
    • MordyT
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 10:34:38 PM »
Wicked Shell is no longer working on it.
At this time, I am not aware of any other dev working on Echelon v2.
Help will be given to those with a b3.log

If drop off the map it is due to RL becoming busy :)

System: Python 2.7.3 - Deb 7 - B3 Source Code - 128MB RAM box (rented at $5 a year) - remote MySQL - Remote Web Services

Offline Fenix

• Dev. Team
    • GitHub
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 11:56:29 PM »
Thing is that getting hands on an already started project is more difficult than starting a new one. 1 year ago I offered my help in finishing Echelon v2 (and maybe rebuild it from the beginning) but I got told WickedShell was already working on it  :-\ :-\

Offline MordyT

• Support Hero
    • MordyT
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 11:58:48 PM »
Thing is that getting hands on an already started project is more difficult than starting a new one. 1 year ago I offered my help in finishing Echelon v2 (and maybe rebuild it from the beginning) but I got told WickedShell was already working on it  :-\ :-\
Feel free to start writing Echelon3! :D

System: Python 2.7.3 - Deb 7 - B3 Source Code - 128MB RAM box (rented at $5 a year) - remote MySQL - Remote Web Services

Offline Sitting-Duc

Re: Re: Situation
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 12:27:25 AM »
I agree completly.. Although I have been working on Echelon v2 I have found it hard as it is an existing unfinished project. It is easier to work either from the start or to work with a completed project.

But do we have people with the knowledge and commitment. That is the question.

Duc.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Offline Fenix

• Dev. Team
    • GitHub
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 12:39:06 AM »
But do we have people with the knowledge and commitment. That is the question.
I do, both actually, but that's not up to me or to us. Senior dev must decide what to do with this project ^^

Offline Sitting-Duc

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 01:52:40 AM »
Although I am new to this community I have been involved with other game administration communities both as a developer and a supporter and if this one works like them I see not problem with working on a replacement.

Communities like this are driven by the people in them and not just the developers... and usually the people who are most involved become developers themselves.

However as you say it is better to go ahead with the 'blessing' of the development team. If they do give the go ahead and you are prepared to put the time in I would be very interested in helping out.

My programming skills are more based around .NET however I have the knowledge to help with debugging and basic scripting.

Duc.

Offline MordyT

• Support Hero
    • MordyT
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 02:46:54 AM »
I do, both actually, but that's not up to me or to us. Senior dev must decide what to do with this project ^^
Hmmm,
I can't speak in a official position about this (and mind you official with me only means the support lead agrees) but let me tell you this.
If you decide to start writing Echelon 3 I will back you all the way. I will try to make sure you get marked as lead dev on the echelon3 project, just like how eire32 and ws got marked as lead devs on echelon2. You will be in control of the project - be able to build it how you see it.

Offline Courgette

• Senior Dev.
    • Github repository
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 09:44:34 AM »
not true

Quote from: Sitting-Duc
Communities like this are driven by the people in them and not just the developers... and usually the people who are most involved become developers themselves.
very true

I would be glad (and I'm sure Xlr8or would as well) if someone can build a small team of dev/testers around the Echelon project.

Maybe we can learn from the experience of both Echelon1 and Echelon2. I don't know if my point of view is unbiased but here is what I would remember :

• Echelon 1 code was hard to maintain
  • Echelon 1 project was designed for a single game server
  • Echelon 2 lost his developer and is not active anymore

Maybe those guidelines can help with Echelon 3 :
  • define the project "on the paper" first. This will help get more people together around the project and make sure the project fits most people needs
  • use technologies for which it is easy to find developers (PHP seems fine to me)
  • the project description should list the features that should be implemented
  • if the feature list is too long, spread it through multiple alpha releases. First beta release will be when all features planned for v1.0 of Echelon3 are done.
  • try to get a few alpha testers to work hand-to-hand with the dev team.
  • make sure the project is easy to install from the very beginning
  • make sure to have an installation documentation ready from the very beginning
  • maintain a user documentation from the very beginning
  • maintain a user/tester-friendly changelog so people know exactly what to expect to work from the project at its current state.

Offline Fenix

• Dev. Team
    • GitHub
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 10:31:32 AM »
What I meant with "it's not up to me" is: I cannot put myself in the developer team all alone ^^.
As I already said I can rebuild the whole project but as courgette pointed out, there is a need of a team of testers and maybe other devs.

Offline Sitting-Duc

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 10:48:06 AM »
What I meant with "it's not up to me" is: I cannot put myself in the developer team all alone ^^.
As I already said I can rebuild the whole project but as courgette pointed out, there is a need of a team of testers and maybe other devs.

To put yourself in the development team all you need to do is start developing and contributing, there are many people on this website who are in the development team for B3 who have never contributed code... but who have contributed there time giving feedback and error information.

If you create a plan as suggested detailing the project components and post it up here for discussion then naturally people will take interest and offer there ideals and time. If there is no interest then we know it's not going to work.

Once a plan is devised and a core development  team has been assembled it can then be looked at for those individuals to be given access to the resources they need. etc.

Duc.

Offline tanka

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 11:07:11 AM »
I would love to get involved if this does happen in terms of ideas and testing.

I have done my own edits to echelon v2 (eg. live server listing, change theme, pbss access) but my skills won't really be sufficient to help developing.

Offline Freelander

• XLRstats dev.
  • Dev. Team
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 08:09:42 PM »
Actually I've started to work on echelon v2 but I must say there's a lot to do. You can check my work @ https://github.com/Freelander/echelon/tree/version2 if you like.

For those who are willing to help with the project, it's an open source project. So feel free to fork the project on github and help development. This is how you get involved ;) I think it'd be great to have someone with good CSS skills as current theme works fine only on Chrome.

I can also use some help on testing phase when it's ready for testing. I think current focus should be on making the pages load faster (this is what I'm currently working on) and fixing bugs rather than adding new features.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:15:43 PM by Freelander »

Offline Courgette

• Senior Dev.
    • Github repository
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 09:17:11 PM »
I didn't know Echelon2 was still active, that's good news  8)

Rate this page +1 at Google Search