thankyou
Donate to the B3 fund!

"even a small donation helps!"
Donate with PayPal!

Author Topic: Homefront Support  (Read 26088 times)

Offline xlr8or

• [ www.xlrstats.com ]
  • Project Lead
    • The Art of Tactical Gaming
Homefront Support
« on: March 12, 2011, 11:24:48 AM »
This post is no longer accurate. We are currently working on a homefront parser and we've got our first draft working properly. Stay tuned, we'll post our news regarding this topic in the news section.

It hurts me to say that we will not be able to support HomeFront.

Although it looked promising when we first got in contact with THQ/KAOS, we cannot go ahead with it at this point. Even though we did sign the NDA's.

Why? Well in order to develop and test B3 on HF we would need:
1.) a gameserver
2.) copies/keys of the game for the devs involved.

A gameserver was gladly promised to us by our server sponsor www.lowpinggameservers.com (thanks guys!).

Unfortunately our project fund does not cover for the copies of the game and we will not receive copies from the game company like EA/Dice did for our BFBC2 and MOH support.

We had great hopes and all communication with the gamedevs was excellent so that is not the issue. I just hope - for the sake of you guys that are gonna host a server and also for B3 in general - that THQ/KAOS will reconsider this and of course we will then gladly start working on it.

Mark
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:46:44 PM by xlr8or »

Offline Spruehwurstheinz

Re: Homefront Support
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 03:50:02 PM »
I wish you good luck with THQ and hope still that there is a way to get these copies.

THQ/KAOS just need to realize how good the b3 bot is :)

Edit: how many copies of homefront do you need?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 03:53:39 PM by Spruehwurstheinz »

Offline MordyT

• Over $300 Donated to B3!
    • MordyT
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 02:53:37 AM »
How many copies of Homefront and what is the cost? I may just sponsor them if the price is right...
Help will be given to those with a b3.log

If drop off the map it is due to RL becoming busy :)

System: Python 2.7.3 - Deb 7 - B3 Source Code - 128MB RAM box (rented at $5 a year) - remote MySQL - Remote Web Services

Offline xlr8or

• [ www.xlrstats.com ]
  • Project Lead
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 11:58:11 AM »
I'll check who is still committed to work on it at this moment. I will let you guys know in a cpl of days how many devs still want to be involved.

Offline MordyT

• MordyT
Re: Re: Re: Homefront Support
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 06:41:34 PM »
I'll check who is still committed to work on it at this moment. I will let you guys know in a cpl of days how many devs still want to be involved.
Feel free to email me if don't want to publicly post it.
*Via my HTC EvO 4G*

System: Python 2.7.3 - Deb 7 - B3 Source Code - 128MB RAM box (rented at $5 a year) - remote MySQL - Remote Web Services

Offline TacTicToe

• Killing Crew Founder
    • The Killing Crew
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 08:31:18 PM »
Ok, not really sure what is going on here, but on the Homefront forums, there is a user by the name of Kinsman, who is a blatant fanboy, but also generally has pretty concise info about what is going on. I posted the link to this thread over there, to let people know that you were dropping support for Homefront.

Here is Kinsman's reason for B3 not getting the game for testing...

Actually its a security thing obviously, and there were some strange things to come from the B3 guys. No doubt they will add it down the track when they have their own copies.

Seems that Kaos think of B3 as some sort of security risk. For me, this is complete non-sense. Even IF B3 were to leak the game prematurely, what does that even mean? The only thing Kaos could hope to do, would be to delay the inevitable by a day or two.

By the 16th or 17th the game will be cracked, and a non-Steam version will be out there. Once the server files are released, only days later there will be cracked servers online as well. There are already copies of the XBox360 version out there, and being played. So again, what is the real security risk? A two day delay?

Ridiculous. At any rate, I just thought the peeps here at B3 would like to know what the dev's at THQ think of you. Now again, Kinsman does not work for THQ/Kaos/Digital Extreme, so take it for what it is worth. This is just an FYI type of post.

Offline Courgette

• Senior Dev.
    • Github repository
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
Whatever is the reason for not giving out test copies, we have no complaint to make about Kaos or THQ. Remember that they have no obligation to do so. Also the more copies they give out for tests, the more risk they take to see it leaked. Their decision is to be respected whatever the motive.

In the end, with the actual leak of the game, I'm glad I had no copy of it and as such not a suspect either ;)

Offline CTU_FSUNOLE

• http://www.ctuclan.org
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 04:35:25 PM »
Since the game is due out tomorrow, will you be developing B3 once the server files are released to the public? My clan will have a server & you are more than welcome to test on my server. Anything I can do to help!

Offline xlr8or

• [ www.xlrstats.com ]
  • Project Lead
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 09:52:11 PM »
Like I promised I asked the devs who still wants to be involved. There is still commitment to work on this new addition. We still aim to get it added to our list of games. Just not in full force and not at gamelaunch obviously.

To make it fit we'll have to reduce the devteam for this engine. The smallest possible team is two devs, because we also have to translate interaction such as kills, teamkills etc. to our event queues. As you know B3 is not just a one-way-street rcon tool that can be built on protocol details only. That is why we need to be ingame at certain moments to interact with the bot and other players, hence the license keys. Also interaction debugging requires online presence.

After a short discussion we decided not to ask for license keys, but try to squeeze it out of our project fund without taking the risk to be unable to pay for our fixed costs.

If you want to help us achieve this please feel free to make a donation to our project fund and we will invest that donation wisely to buy 2 or 3 copies of the game for development purposes. We'll see how this pans out in the next week.

If you have any questions or want to participate in coding (assuming you will buy the game anyways) let us know.

If you're satisfied with the services B3 provided you and your community so far, please consider donating. Even a buck helps!

http://www1.bigbrotherbot.net/donate
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:04:25 PM by xlr8or »

Offline MordyT

• MordyT
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 09:55:12 PM »
Hey XLR,
I just sent in a donation that should cover 1 CD key, at least I hope (depends where you shop). I also will have a server and a copy of the game myself, and would be glad to let you test on it.
Just let me know what you need...

Offline Spruehwurstheinz

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 10:23:42 PM »

Offline BetterDeadThanZed

• Beta Testers
    • Killin Zeds
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 05:14:04 PM »
I hope this will help. Here is everything about the Homefront rcon protocols: http://wiki.homefronter.com/wiki/RCON_Protocol

I have a Homefront server and would be happy to provide access to it for B3 testing. Contact me in PM or email if you guys are interested.

Offline RCONHostingServices

• RCON Hosting Services
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 01:26:16 AM »
I would be able to supply B3 Dev's with 3+ HF Steam CD-Keys if still needed. Just shoot me an e-mail.
RCON Hosting Services - http://rconhostingservices.net

Offline xlr8or

• [ www.xlrstats.com ]
  • Project Lead
UPDATE: Homefront Support
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 11:02:51 AM »
(Posted in both the homefront support topic and news section)

Thanks guys for your donations and concerns so far!

4 devs have been able to order/buy a copy of the game. Partially from the contributions received, partially from the existing fund and partially out of our own pockets.

(I've also shot an e-mail to RCONHostingServices to explore what possibilities there are.)

As it appears now we are able to start development by the end of the week, some copies are ordered and still in the mail, some have received them already.

We will not be able to give you guys an ETA but we aim to get a full beta release out fast, hopefully with XLRstats support and a poweradmin-HomeFront plugin.

Meanwhile we are still in a release phase for version 1.5.0 (CoD:BO support and several updates) which will probably leave beta this week. So you can expect a release soon.

The new version 1.6.0 (HomeFront edition) will become bleeding edge straight after.

More news to share while we're at it. A separate branch (setup) was started to further improve our setup procedure. We will try to setup the database tables from the setup procedure. We will also introduce config templates for each game so first time users have a default set of options loaded into the setup procedure specific to their game. This should reduce the number of config errors and make b3 friendlier to install. Also hosting providers can more easily create a template and provide users with a provider specific set of settings.

Offline MordyT

• MordyT
Re: Re: Homefront Support
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 04:00:44 PM »
Excellent, looking forward to it...

Sent from my HTC Glacier

Rate this page +1 at Google Search