Donate to the B3 fund!

"even a small donation helps!"
Donate with PayPal!
In our support boards we aim to provide support for the B3 core in its current state. Older releases of B3 are NOT supported. Check our front page for the latest version. You may post feature requests in our General Discussion board. Modifications and Hacks of the core B3 code are NOT supported.
Before you ask for support: [ Read the Support Instructions ] - More info: [ Full Support Disclaimer ]

Author Topic: Installing B3 on Linux server  (Read 3887 times)

Offline killbill88630

Installing B3 on Linux server
« on: April 02, 2014, 12:45:51 AM »
Hi all,

I actually run B3 in localhost, but i'd like to install it in my Linux server. I only have ftp access and i don't know if it's possible to install it on it and how?

Thanks for your help,

KB  ;)

Offline HogensHero

Re: Installing B3 on Linux server
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
Do you own the server and have it in your house or do you rent a server from someone else?

Offline ph03n1x

• Lovers and Haters Urban Terror
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 09:15:46 AM »
Yes it is possible to install B3 on Linux and from my experience it even works better.
However, FTP access alone is not enough to set things up. You will be able to install B3, but starting it will require you to access the console or Linux terminal.

I recommend you start here: http://wiki.bigbrotherbot.net/installation:start

If you are renting a VPS then you most likely will be given access to the terminal (usually via SSH). You may have to double check with your provider regarding that.

Good luck!

Offline killbill88630

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 01:14:32 PM »
Hi Pho3n1x and HogensHero,

Thanks for your replies. Yes i actually rent a COD4 server in v1servers. I already sent messages to my provider , but he doesn't seem to know this program so much , so it will be hard to realize.
@Pho3n1x, what is a VPS?

Tx, KB ;)

Offline ph03n1x

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 08:18:43 AM »
Hey killbill,

VPS = Virtual Private System
It is where you rent an entire system from a provider. They give you access to everything. The entire system is your to control, included admin/root access.
I rent a VPS and I have installed B3 on it. It is a great option and very reasonably priced. I pay $5 p/month for a VPS running Ubuntu, 50GB HDD, 512MB RAM, 1TB bandwidth (lowlatencyservers.com). Although you may think it is not much, it is actually more than enough to run several B3 installations.

Most game server providers do not allow B3 to be installed on their systems for security reasons. Running B3 is like running a bunch of python scripts after all. Providers also limit your access to the core system so it will be impossible to install B3 yourself on the game server.
Since you said you are with v1servers, I recommend you get a VPS and install B3 on that.

Good luck!

Offline killbill88630

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 01:11:31 PM »
Hi ph03n1x,

Thanks for your reply. I must say i looked for a lot of infos about installing B3 in a dedicated server and all the things you just told me about this make me think i was right from the beginning. I mean i realized it was quite so hard/impossible to install it by himself without having help from my provider. I'm glad you explained it to me, cause it's not easy to have good informations about it.
About lowlatencyservers, i didn't know them. Do they have game servers (like cod4) too with VPS included ?

Tx again !

KB  ;)

Offline ph03n1x

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 02:57:22 PM »
Hey KB,

The link I gave earlier gives all needed info for installing on Linux, use that same methods for installing on VPS.
No, I don't have COD4 server, I only run Urban Terror servers at this time.
LowLatencyServers is a division of JestServers (who is listed as a non affiliated host of B3), so if you want it to work together and want the provider to set it up for you, why not try jestservers. You can get a COD4 server and a B3 server from them.

Try this link: https://jestservers.com/panel/cart.php
They will set everything up for you, my experience working with them has been great.

If you want to go the VPS way, I can help set up your B3. If you want this option it may be best to PM me instead. I'm already over advertising I think..lol!

Good luck!

Offline killbill88630

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 08:07:48 PM »
Hi ph03n1x,

Tx for your answer, if i need help i send you mp :)

KB ;)

Offline killbill88630

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 10:39:32 AM »
Hey ph03n1x,

I actually rent a Linux dedicated server , i 'd like to install B3 on it , but i'm not sure to be able to do it alone. I know you suggested your help to me a bit time ago. If you still agree to do it for me, it would be kind of you. But, for the moment i have a problem with my cod4 server, i don't know if you could help me: when i run the cod4 launcher , i have this message: "segmentation fault"??
Do you know anything about it? (sorry for my bad english)

Thanks,

KB
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:05:33 PM by killbill88630 »

Offline ph03n1x

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 09:19:17 AM »
I know about segmentation faults in general. Usually it means that there is not enough memory to run your program or the data you are accessing is too large for the system to process.
What is your VPS specs? Try to find the following: (PM or email me if you prefer)

1) RAM
2) Swap memory
3) CPU speed
4) HDD

You would want to compare that the game's system requirements.

Good luck!
:)

Offline killbill88630

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 11:48:40 AM »

Offline ph03n1x

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 10:39:45 AM »
Hey KB,

I sent you a PM. Please send me full info on your system. I would like to know the following:

1) Operating System
2) Copy of /proc/cpuinfo (from terminal, type in "cat /proc/cpuinfo")
3) Kernel Version (from terminal, type "cat /proc/version")
4) Game version

I'm assuming you updated the system fully already.

talk soon :)

Rate this page +1 at Google Search