thankyou
Donate to the B3 fund!

"even a small donation helps!"
Donate with PayPal!

Author Topic: A Couple Of Questions (UrT Related)  (Read 2132 times)

Offline lolzorsaurus

A Couple Of Questions (UrT Related)
« on: December 19, 2013, 11:15:48 PM »
Hello, everyone.

Me and a friend own a UrT server and we ran into trouble a few days ago when a player came in with an Aimbot. We managed to successfully ban the guy but something's been bothering me ever since.

I've heard from some of the players that if this guy manages to connect with a different IP, he'll be able to get in again.

Is this correct? Is there a way to add his information to some sort of list so that b3 can ban him automatically, despite him having a different IP? How does the process work? Will we be able to keep him out forever, or will this guy eventually find a way to come back into the server?

Thanks.

Offline Fenix

• Dev. Team
    • GitHub
Re: A Couple Of Questions (UrT Related)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 12:15:36 AM »
I assume you are using Urban Terror 4.1. In such case b3 can ban the player GUID and the player IP address. Changing the GUID is very simple: you just need to delete the qkey file and the game will generate automatically a new one (new identity). IP is most of the time dynamic, so rebooting the router will assign you a diffrent IP (if the IP it's static you can still use a proxy to obtain a different IP).

If you want to get rid of cheaters, you have to switch to version 4.2; there a re very few cheats working for this version. Also Urban Terror 4.2 introduces the auth system so every player will have just 1 identity linked to the Urban Terror account (the one of the website so to speak). More over you can set your server to accept only people authed (authentication is not mandatory). In this way if you spot a cheater and you ban him, he will be banned from all the servers your clan/organization has and he will need to get a new account on UrT website to access your server again (and it's not very simple).

Not to mention that 4.2 got a built in Anticheat ^^

Offline lolzorsaurus

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 07:05:02 AM »
But can I still have b3 automatically ban him even if he comes in with a new IP and has a new qkey file?

Offline ph03n1x

• Lovers and Haters Urban Terror
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 02:25:42 PM »
Unfortunately this is a workaround that they use. No one has developed a way to deny access to anyone with a new IP and GUID. Most of the time a ban works, onlly "career cheaters" are the annoying ones who go thru the trouble of resetting their GUID and IP several times just to play on a server. You can range ban them or use a banlist.
If you are going down the banlist part, try UAA banlist as they have many cheaters listed and can save you a lot of headache.

Catching cheaters is the only really tedious job that admins do. It's a constant work to keep them out of your server.

Good luck with your server.

Offline lolzorsaurus

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 07:40:13 PM »
Range Ban? I've heard of it before. How would one go about doing that? Quite curious, now. That might do the trick.

Thanks.

Offline HogensHero

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 04:24:32 AM »
I would be careful using a range ban for you server to get rid of this guy.  With most players using dynamic ip address it is possible that you may accidentally ban a legitimate player that got caught in your range.  I would only use range bans under extreme circumstances.

Offline ph03n1x

• Lovers and Haters Urban Terror
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 06:32:09 AM »
HogensHero is absolutely right. You should only use a range ban if you see the player coming back time after time even though he is banned. The banlist is best as it is taken from select clans who feed information about the cheaters they discover on their servers.

Take a look at the plugin names "banlist." The documentation for that plugin will explain what it does in more detail.

Banlist plugin link: http://forum.bigbrotherbot.net/downloads/?sa=view;down=6

Rate this page +1 at Google Search